This page uses Javascript. Your browser either does not support Javascript or you have it turned off. To see this page as it is meant to appear please use a Javascript enabled browser.

Photos de classe
Home > Student Gazette > Nutrition

Survey of the eating habits of the class " 2nd 5 "

Julie Trouiller

18 April 2007



In the course of our project (our nutrition, its consequences on ourselves and our environment) we have carried out a questionnaire about our nutritional habits, aimed at the 35 students in our class and to some teachers. We have analyzed in this article the main statistics from the survey.



JPEG - 391.9 kb

Purchases:

32% of the students (or student’s families) buy all of their food in chain stores, because they are practical (one can find everything one needs) and the prices are fairly low. But a majority also shop in more specialized shops, for example the grocers, cheese dairy, butchers, organic coops, local farms, for a better quality of product. A small number of students eat fruit and vegetables from their vegetable gardens in summer.

Eating habits:
We noted that 43% of our class snacks between meals, a fairly significant figure; especially as the foodstuffs are sugary (sweets, biscuits, chocolates…) Only 34% of the students never eat in front of the television. The remaining 66% eat from time to time in front of the television, often for 10%. The large majority of the class wastes food rarely, a third of them never. The students say they waste more food at the canteen than at home. The students go relatively little to fast-food restaurants, as the nearest one is at about 17km from Crest. 38% of the class never or very occasionally eat fast food. A part from one person, we all eat fast-food less than twice a month. We have been sensitized to the subject of fast food in the course of our project through studying the consequences this food can have on our health.

Food consumed:
Our class has varied nutritional habits. Due to a lack of time, 23% ate frozen foods during the week. A large majority eat a balanced breakfast, including dairy products, cereals and fruit. Also 5 people do not eat in the morning as they do not have time or are not hungry. Furthermore, most of use appreciate exotic cooking, and eat it regularly. Organic food, which we talk about regularly in class, more than half of us (59%) regularly eat organic products, from 20% to 50% of their alimentation. The main organic products that are eaten are fruit and vegetables, dairy products. All appreciate fruit and vegetables, and 85% of the class eats them regularly. The students specify that they prefer fruits to vegetables.

The canteen:
We have asked the students to evaluate the alimentation provided by the canteen, taking into account the quality and the balance of the meals. The average mark given by the class is 12,5 out of 20. Many of the students note that the balance of the meal depends on the dishes on offer. Moreover, the choice of dishes is more or less dependant on the time that the canteen is visited.